CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, May 23, 2009

Feeling Frustrated

Well, I went to the orthodontist on Thursday and I knew it was going to be a longer visit (probably about 30 mins) as they were putting brackets on my last four teeth. Well, it turned into over an hour! It just seemed like everything was taking forever (which is not fun when they have that huge-ass plastic thing in your mouth stretching it out so I look like a big mouth bass or something). Ha! They ended up taking another bracket off (and I swear it felt like they were going to actually pull my tooth out with it) and repositioning it. And with the new wires in, the ortho said they would only put the powerchain on my front six bottom teeth. This worked out nicely in closing the very large gap that had formed between my front two teeth from the rubberbands I had been wearing (from upper back teeth to lower front teeth), but let me tell you, that space closed in less than 24 hours and boy did it feel like it. Very sore!! But, I kinda like the pain. Means it's working faster. :) But, anyway, the space basically moved back to where it had been originally: between my 3rd and 4th tooth on the bottom. Very annoying.. But onto the frustrating part..
I had originally thought that it was extremely likely that I would be getting the surgery after this past tax season. And lately, I have been told another 3 mos or so.. Ok, I could deal with that.. So this most recent visit, I asked the ortho again and now he is saying it will definitely be "more than a few months". Which I responded (in hopefully a not-too-bitchy tone!! hey, I did smile when I said it! ) that I am starting to get very impatient! He said it comes with the territory and he understands, but that they can only move my teeth as fast as my body will allow (or something like that). So I explained to him that I really want to have this done by November b/c I don't want to have to wait until after NEXT tax season. To which he proclaimed "November is a definite possibility". Ok, don't like the use of the term "possibility". But, I guess I'll take what I can get at this point.
The thing is, I know I don't want to rush something like this. And I can deal with the waiting (although I am an extremely impatient person - always have been). It's just, as I explained in my last post, I will be so upset if it's not until next year b/c I could have gotten the short-term disability insurance. In other words, I would have not had to use any of my own vacation or sick time. Well, I guess I should just stop bitching and realize there is absolutely nothing I can do about it. Hopefully everything will start moving a little faster now with the new brackets and wires. We shall see.
I have to say, even though I am jealous, it has been exciting that everyone and their mother seems to have gotten the surgery in the past week or two. Everyone's looking great and I can't wait to see the final outcome. I do feel for them though.. Man, it just sounds like the first week is so hard.
Well, it's now been close to a year and a half with these braces on. Hopefully I will have the surgery before the 2 year mark or things could get ugly. :) I will keep you posted as I find out more. Will be following along closely to all you "lucky" ones on the other side. Sending prayers your way!!

10 comments:

sjp said...

Kelly, if it is any consolation, a "definite possibility" does contain the word "definite"!!! So focus on that instead of on "possibility". =)

My orthodontist originally told me that I would not be able to have the surgery until August '09. And well, I'm 1-week pot-op! They try to predict things but as your orthodontist said, it really depends on how the body allows the teeth to move. Hopefully your teeth start moving more quickly and things pick up! I will be praying for those little teeth to get the heck where they are supposed to be so you can get on with this!

Ananda Devika said...

I know it's frustrating - been there, done that! But hang in there, it'll happen. Till then, enjoy eating!

Had to laugh at your post though - I totally agree with liking the pain! It's a "good" pain...even though it still hurts. And yeah, having a bracket removed sucks! Once, the woman doing mine had to put her food up on the counter to get enough leverage! :) Well, maybe it wasn't that bad...but sure seemed like it... :)

Hang in there, girl!

Ananda Devika said...

Um, I meant "foot" on the counter. You can tell what's on my mind at ALL times while I'm still on the liquid diet... :)

Kelly said...

Aww, thanks guys!! I actually feel pretty horrible complaining about this stupid stuff considering all you guys are having to go thru right now. I really hope all is going well with both of you (I have been checking your posts frequently) :) And thanks again for all the support!!

Anonymous said...

I understand your frustrations! I was hoping to have my surgery done and over with last winter, but it got pushed out again and again. It was definitly worth the wait though. They were able to line my teeth up perfectly for surgery and today I'm three days post-op and things are good. It will be here before you know it! Are you have upper and lower surgery or just one of the two? Good luck to you! I look forward to hearing about your journey. :)
~Katherine

forbes668 said...

i hear you girl, on the waiting thing! i still have to have 3 of my wisdom teeth removed... and you have to wait 6months to a year after their removal before surgery because the bone there has to heal so the screws dont shatter the healing hole/area.... so im getting one of two out next week ... so after thats its 6months + for me... err!! i want to do it now, today. and just get it over with !!

forbes668 said...

PS. post some pic of your bite..

nabukay said...

hi kelly i admire your bravery and just want you to know its all worth it. i can't really relate to you and ananda saying the pain is good - i freaking hate any of that pain. but like i said its all worth it. i've got a gap which closed/ opened/ closed and opened again i hope yours close so we can get this show on the road!

Jaw Surgery Brandon said...

Seems to be a common theme, just another part of the process, because my surgery was pushed back several times! haha

Like Ananda said, look at the bright side and just enjoy eating in the meantime, because surgery day will be here before you know it!

Kelly said...

Thanks again guys for all the support and for following my blog (even though I am soooo bad at keeping you all updated - I am hoping I will be much better once I actually have the surgery). And yes, I really need to post some pictures. I have been so bad! Although I really haven't taken any pictures at all of my teeth close up in the last year and a half (probably b/c I hate pictures of them). But, I am hoping I can get the pictures the ortho took on Day 1 and then post some of how they look now. I think there's a HUGE difference. Anyway, thanks again guys and I'll talk to you soon!