CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, October 19, 2009

So much to talk about!!

It has been a while and a lot has happened since my last post. There were times that I really wanted to post but was so afraid I would jinx myself (stupid, I know) so I waited. Well, to start at the beginning of all that has happened in the last couple months.. in August (I believe), I was told by my ortho that I was getting close to being ready for surgery and that I could make an appointment with the surgeon so that he could check things out and look at the progress and see if he thought I was just about ready as well. So, I call up the University of Maryland (this is where my surgeon works) and come to find out, he no longer works there. He had just left and started his own practice. Ok, no reason to panic. I just got the new telephone number, called him and set up an appt. Of course they told me I would have to have all my medical records transferred so I paid to have them delivered to me. So, long story short, I took a half a day off of work and went down to see him to find out that he does not accept my insurance. I was devastated and almost broke into tears right in the middle of the waiting room. I was told I could still see him that day, but I would have to pay out of pocket and it could be hundreds of dollars. Not to mention, if I switched insurances (Dec 1st, when my company renews insurance), I was afraid that seeing him that day might screw up my insurance approval. And yes, I had already gotten the authorization from my insurance co. to have my surgery with him when he was at UMD. So, I basically decided even though I wasted all that time to drive down there that I would not see him that day. And after talking it over with my insurance person at work and speaking with my ortho, I decided it would be best to just go with another surgeon at UMD. My ortho reassured me that any surgeon there would be excellent. It took me a while to get over this (I mean I had been planning this and believing he would be my surgeon for over a year and a half at this point!!), but after a few days of calming down, I was finally ok with the switch.
So I spoke with the insurance person at UMD (I mentioned this in a previous post, but just have to say again that she is amazing and has basically guided me thru most of this process) and I told her I wanted to set up an appt with one of the other surgeons there. She said this was not a problem, but I wouldn't be able to see him for a consult until mid to late October!! This was not good since i wanted to have my surgery by late Oct/early November. She said if I scheduled the surgery with her right then, I could schedule it by mid November. So, I took both appts right then. I thought it seemed a little odd to schedule the surgery when I hadn't even met the doctor. It made me quite nervous actually. But, I knew if I didn't schedule it then, I had no chance of getting the surgery before tax season which would mean I'd have to wait till next May!!! um, I don't think so. ha!!
So, anyway, I finally, today, had my long awaited appt (and very first meeting) with my surgeon. I really did like him a lot and he seemed to only need a few minutes of looking at my teeth and the x-rays and molds that I brought in order to tell me exactly what I will need done. One thing in particular I really like about him is that he is also a cosmetic surgeon. I mean his focus is on orthognathic surgery, but he is a cosmetic surgeon as well. Can't hurt, right? :) So, he took molds of my teeth (which i had already endured two of these in the last two months) and honestly I have never had so much trouble with them. I gagged sooo bad on the top one. :( And they used that weird tool (I forget the name) that they stick in both your ears and it wraps around the front of your face. It's really strange, but it's used for all their measurements. And the best news of all, he says there should not be any problem to have everything ready to go for my surgery which is scheduled on November 17th!! I have to come back in two weeks for the pre-op appt and I will have the surgical hooks put on 6 days prior to the surgery. So, it sounds like things are all set.
Honestly, I think now that I know that things are set in stone (or as much as they will be), I am getting really nervous. I have calmed down at this point some, but earlier today I kinda freaked out. It's really happening in 4 weeks! AHHHH!!! Well, I have let this post drag on too long.. so I will save all my nerves and other feelings and more details of today for the next post. I will probably be updating much more frequently now. But please feel free to comment me with calming thoughts!! :)

12 comments:

stephanie said...

You'll be fine. I'm glad you liked your new surgeon, that's kind of nervewracking to change so last minute.

Wahoo, almost there!

Kelly said...

Thanks Steph!! I am surprised I started getting so nervous. I think I have calmed down a little, but I am sure in the next few weeks there will be ups and downs.
And yeah, it was definitely nervewracking, but I know he is a good surgeon and my former surgeon recommended him (it was one of his former colleagues). My new surgeon actually works at the Shock Trauma as well where severely injured people go after accidents. So I know he is one of the best. I am very happy with how it all turned out at this point.
Btw, you are looking fab!! Congrats on the burger!! :)

S said...

Wow, what a nervewracking experience, I can imagine the frustration, I would've done the same thing. At least you have your surgery day, that's so exciting. I'm going to my ortho this Thursday, they are taking molds and xray to determine when the surgery will be. I haven't dealt with my insurance yet, I have a feeling that they will give me a hard time with approving my surgery. I was hoping that my surgery would be in November as well but the way things are dragging, I'd be lucky if they schedule it for December. :(

S said...

By the way, how long are you taking off from work? I'm thinking of taking two months off because my jaw is going to be shut for 6 weeks.

Meredith said...

Hi Kelly!
I don't think I've introduced myself, but hi, I'm Meredith! We might have a funny coincidence... I am also from the MD area, and my surgeon just left UMD! Who was it you were supposed to have? I've had to switch surgeons a few times, so I know it's SO stressful! I'm glad you wound up with someone you really feel good about.
My surgery will be exactly a week before yours, so I guess we'll be recovering at about the same time. It'll be nice to have someone to commiserate with :)
Enjoy your last few weeks before surgery!

Kelly said...

Hey Meredith!! Omg, what a coincidence! My previous surgeon was Dr. Coletti, who I loved. But now I am seeing Dr. Warburton at UMD (University of Maryland Medical Center). He is amazing as well. It was all so stressful but I am very happy with everything at this point. I can't beleive you are having yours right before mine! And you got your braces on the exact same month as me. Wow. We definitely have to keep in touch and like you said, it will be nice to have someone to go thru it all with.

Kelly said...

Hi Sue!! I am taking off 4 weeks from work. I figure if I need more, I can take unpaid leave. Whatever it takes to feel fully recovered. I hope you find out that you do not need to have your mouth wired shut (hopefully just banded). Good luck in getting the surgery by December! I will be following your progress!!

Meredith said...

Dr. Coletti is my surgeon!!!! That is too funny. I stumbled onto him because my previous surgeon was determined to be out of network 10 days before my surgery was supposed to be. So it was all pushed back a lot, but in the long run I'm so glad, because I'm really happy with Dr. Coletti. I think the results will be better, and I like him as a person as well. I hope you're as happy with the surgeon you wound up with!
I didn't realize we got our braces on the same time- I'm glad to hear that. As I've been reading about people's surgeries it feels like mine is taking so much longer. It's good to hear that someone else is still stuck at this stage too!

sjp said...

Sounds like you are good to go! It may be better for all this to come so quickly... you don't have quite as much time to dwell on the surgery, before you know it it will be done! I'm super excited for you :)

Kelly said...

Omg Meredith, what a coincidence!! Yeah, Dr. Coletti was awesome. (Pretty hot, too, I must admit - haha). I was not happy at first obviously to have to switch things up, but Dr. Coletti recommended Dr. Warburton and now that I have met him, I love him as well. I think anyone who has worked at UMD will be great. They are all excellent surgeons there. So I think we are both in very good hands. :) But wow, not too much longer, huh??

Kelly said...

Aww, thanks Stephanie!! I have to tell you that I have been following your blog ever since you started it and it has helped me tremendously. You sound so much like me, especially with the whole dramatic puking thing! haha I have seriously had a major fear of that ever since I was little. I think I remember you saying you eventually did throw up at home.. was it really horrible?! Such a strange conversation, huh? :)
And yes, it's probably just best for the surgery to come as quickly as possible. I am ready to just be done with it at this point!

G.C. said...

Hi Kelly! My name is Gloria, and I hope to have my surgery in first half of December. I am in a same (or maybe worse) situation like you - my insurance actually denied my surgery! (original insurance I had when I first started the treatment coverd it - ughrrr). So anyway, unable to get a loan of $30,000 I decided to do my surgery overseas! I am originally from Croatia, so basically going back for surgery - totally freaking out about it: new people, different way of work, now knowing what to expect... The only good thing about it all is that my surgeon is coming to NY this week on some seminar so he offered to meet me - it's tomorrow!!! i hope it will all go well and my nerves will finally relax.
Good luck to you!