CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, October 31, 2009

Preparing for the Big Day (or at least trying)

So, I went out to Target with my Mom and my sis last night, trying to start buying some of the things I know I will need. I used a list Stephanie created (as it just seemed so thorough). Thanks Stephanie!! (Oh and thanks to the other Stephanie - from Kentucky- for attaching the link on her blog!) Here is the link to this list if anyone else might want to check it out. http://mycorrectivejawsurgery.blogspot.com/2008/09/t-minus-8-days.html On a side note, about a week and a half ago, I bought and started taking the following Vitamins: 1,000 mg Vitamin C (twice daily), Vitamin B12 with Folic Acid (once daily), and 30 mg Zinc (once daily). Hopefully at the very least all that Vitamin C will keep me from getting sick or the swine flu (knock on wood).

So anyway, I feel like I spent a lot of time in the store and did not buy much. I got Aquaphor for my lips (which I found some not only in the lotion section, but also the baby section), baby spoons (one with long skinny handles), baby toothbrush (the littlest and skinniest one I could find, as I have heard it is very difficult to brush your teeth at first), sippy cups, hydrogen peroxide (for cleaning mouth and nose), Biotene mouthwash and Afrin. I did not buy any of the medication that was on the list because I felt I should speak with the surgeon before doing this. I will be seeing him on Monday for the pre-surgical visit and I will ask him about the medications then (I would REALLY like to have some sort of decongestant to take, like Sudafed, as I take that a lot now for all my sinus problems and I can only imagine how much worse the congestion will be after the surgery).

Also, I am really frustrated to hear about all the issues with the Zip-n-Squeeze company. I never even bothered ordering anything from them b/c I have heard they went out of business or something and nobody is getting their money back from them. I am dissapointed b/c I wanted to get the Zip-n-Squeeze bags and jaw wrap. Did most of you (who have already had the surgery) get a syringe from the hospital? I am thinking about getting a baster, as Stephanie mentioned, if I am not going to get a syringe. Also, do you know of a good substitute for the jaw wrap?

And finally, the most important question. I was thinking about getting the Magic Bullet as I have seen that some people have gotten this and I like that you can just make one serving at a time. But, then I was reading reveiws on this product and a lot of them were pretty bad. If you guys could give me some opinions on this or make any suggestions as to better food processors that you might have gotten, please let me know. I have been doing a lot of research and I am still not sure what to get. Also, if there are any other items that you really used a lot that are not on my list, please let me know. I just want to be prepared as possible! Although I know if necessary, my Mom would run out in the middle of the night to get me something if I really needed it and didn't have it. I am just so glad she is going to be here to take care of me 24/7. Love you Mom!! No offense to Dave, my boyfriend (or should I say husband - we've been together almost 8 years and have had a house together for 5 years - common law marriage, anyone? lol) but it's just not the same as Mom!! I think all you girls know what I mean. :) I love him too though and I am sure his humor will help me get thru a lot of this. Here's a couple pics of me and him (from a few years back - pre-braces). First one - cute, second one - making me laugh like usual. :)














Well, I will probably post another update after I see the surgeon on Monday. I can't believe it's only a little over 2 weeks away!!

6 comments:

stephanie said...

The reason I loved the Magic Bullet and would recommend it is the convenience. It's really easy to use, and if you rinse it off right after you use it it's super easy to clean. You blend into the cups you eat out of, and can freeze them or refrigerate them. Since everything I ate had to be blended, it would have been a PAIN to use a real blender with all of the attachments to clean, etc.

Now, on the other hand, it's not all that powerful and doesn't blend thick thick stuff without some liquid.

I'd buy it again, though... it really improved my life as I went through recovery.

dmichele78 said...

Wal-Mart has a knock off magic bullet blender for only $15. I was very skeptical at first, but it worked wonders for me-- and it is single serve which is really convenient. It's made by Hamilton Beach company. Also, Target carries small ice packs that fit perfectly into a "jaw bra"-- you should get one at the hospital-- in their dollar bin section usually located at the front of the store. They were $1 each and they were awesome--much better than real ice that melted quickly : ) I was able to use a straw right away, so I didn't need a syringe. I've heard many people say that the zip-n-squeeze bags were unnecessary. If you have sinus issues, you may also want to invest in a humidifier. My biggest problem post-op was not being able to get enough air due to massive congestion--the humidifier helps. These were the items that I found to really help me. I hope your surgery goes well! Good luck and if you have any other questions you can always ask me! I'll be thinking of you as your big day nears...

Dana

Carrie said...

Hey,

Very much looking forward to reading your blog! Good luck with your surgery. Mine is December 9, 2009 so I'll definitely be watching what happens closely!!

-C

Corey said...

Hey, I actually have a magic bullet but ended up using my blender for everything...it just worked better for me. you might want to get a saline nasal spray as well..it's just that after surgery that afrin stuff is nasty, it tastes bad in the back of your throat and kind of burns and you can't really get the taste out with anything since swallowing anything can be pretty difficult. I also got a travel neck pillow and that helped with my neck pain alot...it also helps if you have to sleep on your back. Good luck with everything!!!

S said...

Hi, I also started preparing for the big day, not sure yet when it will be, they should tell me any day now. So I got a humidifier, started using it already and I must say that I wake up feeling less congested and my eyes are not itchy anymore, I do get pretty bad allergies but the allergy season is over so I'm not sure why I still feel like this, so the humidifier really works. And istead of a neck pillow I got one of those bed lounge pillow/chairs, it supports your back, neck and your head, this is great for people like me who will need to sleep upright on a 45 degree angle, this is how it looks like http://www.bedlounge.com/bedlounge/uses/bedrestpillow.html

Good luck with your surgery!!

Kelly said...

Wow guys, thank you so much for all the recommendations. It is so helpful to hear from people who have already gone thru it AND also people who are in the same boat as me right now.
Steph - I think I am going to get the magic bullet. Do you have any recipes that you could share with me? I haven't bought any food yet (really bad, I know).
Dana - I was holding off on the humidifier, but I think that will be really beneficial to me. I have really bad sinus problems anyway so I figure I will get plenty of use out of it. I am also going to look for those ice packs. Thanks for the suggestions!
Hey Corey - I don't have a saline nasal spray, but I do have a neti pot, do you think that would work? Oh, and if you have any recipes as well, I would greatly appreciate it. :)
And finally to Sue and Carrie, your big day is coming up really soon as well. I will definitely be following along with your progress. And thanks for the link Sue! I was lucky in that my mom already had something really similar (she has a really bad back).
Thanks again everyone!