CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, November 20, 2009

Days 1 - 4

Sorry I didn't update yesterday. I just never really felt quite up to it. I am glad to be home for sure, but it also gets pretty boring pretty quickly. I do feel like today (day 4) has been a little bit better. I think I have been doing pretty good with getting the liquids in. I was told to stay on clear liquids only (gatorade, apple juice, chicken broth, etc) for three days. I think after I write this blog I am going to attempt my first non-clear liquid - Ensure. I have always loved chocolate milk and shakes so I think it will be a nice change, not to mention, provide some much needed vitamins and protein. I, like so many others, have not been dying to have food though. I think for the first few days you are just more worried about how to feel the least discomfort as possible. It definitely sucks to have your mouth banded shut (although I can open my mouth a little) and the splint really sucks. I just feel like I have so much spit that builds up in my mouth that I can barely breathe thru my mouth. I can definitely say I am SOOOO glad I did not have the nose done at the same time. I think I would feel like I was suffocating. This is definitley enough to handle at once. I think once I found out I was only having the lower jaw and genioplasty that I thought I wouldn't be too bad. So, I am a little surprised at how hard it has been. The pain hasn't been terrible, just the discomfort of it all. I would love to just be able to open my mouth and be able to talk. By the way, if the splint and/or bands stay in for 4 weeks, are you ever really able to talk that well? That will be pretty frustrating. But, honestly, I feel a little better today and am hoping to take a nice bath. I am posting pictures from Days 1 -3 but I don't think I am going to post a pic from today (at least not yet). I don't notice too much of a change (maybe the swelling has gone down a little), but my hair is just too nasty for a picture. haha And since I have such long thick hair, I don't know if I am going to have the energy to do that today. But, I am sure I will definitely feel better after the bath at least. Oh, and I do think I have been doing a pretty good job with the salt water rinse (3 times a day), the mouthwash (twice a day) and brushing my teeth. I know some people said they had a lot of trouble with that. I have not been great at it but able to get the rinse in my mouth and swish it around just a little. And I am only able to brush the front teeth a little but I was happy to be able to do that at all. Thank god for that little tiny baby toothbrush. But, all I can do is get the liquids thru a syringe at this point. I am not sure when I will be able to use a cup or spoon. When were you guys able to progress to that stage? Oh, and I do feel like a little baby (another orthoblogger had said that, I don't remember who). My mom basically has had to help me with every little thing. Thank god for her being here 24/7. Oh, and I have found the most difficult part to definitely be nighttime. Does anyone else agree? The first night home was horrible. I could not get comfortable at all and didn't sleep very much. The second night (last night) was definitely better. But, I am hoping at this point each day will start to get better and better. I got a lot of flowers from family/friends which definitely cheered me up some. And all the support has really helped. I hope all of you going thru this now are doing well. I guess I have learned to just take it day by day (and hope those days go fast!!) :) I will try to update tomorrow, but for now, here are some pictures. They are pretty hideous - no makeup, dirty hair, etc - but I guess that's to be expected, huh? :) I definitely swelled, but I think it could have been worse. Also, the first one is day one and the rest are labeled. Well, I'll talk to you all soon!


Add Image

5 comments:

Corey said...

I'm glad you're home! before you know it you'll be eating again. Nights were bad for me too...for the first week I cried every morning when I woke up and most night before I went to sleep. I was only taking ibuprofen because I don't like taking strong drugs and just dealing with the pain. you look really good! I forgot about the surgical tape all over the face...that was fun to get off. Hope you start feeling better soon! something I thought was really good was blending ensure, banana, and crushed ice. Anyways, hope you feel better soon :-)

Meredith said...

Nights are definitely the worst, but they do get better. Mine in the hospital were horrible. I've been sleeping just fine for several days. Now the worst part is having to wake up in the middle of the night to take some pain meds- I just want to keep sleeping! But whenever I sleep past my 6:00 meds in the morning, I definitely am feeling it, so I know I'm not ready to stretch it longer than 6 hours without meds yet. Keep hanging in there!

K said...

You are looking good and sounding positive, which probably is a huge help throughout this process! You've almost made thorough the frist week, so hopefully the hardest part is over as well! Good luck and look forward to your updates.

Kyla Makay said...

Congrats on getting home. I am sure it is tough, but it will be well worth it at the end! You look pretty good for it being just the first week. I can see progression! I have read that after you get through the first week you will start seeing a ton of improvement. Good luck and I pray you recover fast! :)
Lots of Love and Support, Makay

Kelly said...

Thanks you guys for all the support. The night time is still the worst but my doc just prescribed some valium for me. I am hoping this will help. Did any of you have your mouth completely banded shut? After my visit to the doc today, this is now where I am at. I hate it and am feeling rather depressed. I know I need to be more positive but it is hard. :(